Friday 19 October 2012

Post #25 : Reviving the Hobby


The hobby mention here is fish keeping! Before cancer, I had a 4 feet normal dimension tank of tropical fish, with sands and plants! And then cancer happen. I just left the inhabitants of the aquarium to die, only feeding them once a day :(

Now, since cancer is not a barrier to do vigorous work anymore, I've decided to continue this hobby of mine! I've started with the 2.5 feet length with 1.5 feet height and width aquarium. The 4 feet is empty for now.

Miraculously, 5 Java fern that I had neglected in the messy, smelly, greenish aquarium survive like it was nothing. So does the 1 blue gourami and 10 tiger barb! The inhabitant that didn't survive was 1 angelfish (too sad when it die), 2 blue gourami, 2 black molly, 5 jullie corydoras. I was too weak to do anything that time, can't rely on others to do it. Anyway the thing already happen, and I look forward to this new beginning!

The 2.5 feet tank was originally planned for a pair of blue german ram, however plan often changed. Now it houses 4 Java fern with 10 tiger barb!

The water was still cloudy, thanks to the sand

I began setting up this aquarium last Wednesday (17 October).  Since it's small, it's not really a problem setting it up.

Taken on 18/10/12. The water is much clearer than before!
The problem I have with this particular tank is the filter. The powerhead sucks in the water too fast, and the top filter can handle all the water resulting leaking water from the filter. Luckily I was home with my father, and we were able to stop it from getting out of control. We drilled 8 extra hole in the top filter and voila! no problem!

My plan for this aquarium :
1)Add another 15 tiger barb (maybe the green & albino variety)
2)Add some rocks or cave for hiding
3)Add more Java fern

I would not add other fish since the current is strong and tiger barbs are really notorious fin nippers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment